Case study – Ghana: Med Safety App in action

Communications / 17 March 2020

Chief Executive of the FDA, Delese Darko delivering the welcome address at the Med Safety App launch in Ghana, 25 June 2019. Photo: Ghana FDA

The Med Safety App was launched in Ghana by a representative of the Honourable Minister of Health on 25 June 2019. The Chief Executive Officer of the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA), Mrs. Delese Darko, gave a warm welcome and expressed optimism that the app will improve ADR reporting rates and improve patient safety in Ghana.

Prior to the launch, the FDA used social media platforms, radio, and television to inform the general public about the importance of the app and raise awareness. Since the launch, distribution of flyers and engagement with professional associations and consumers has continued. For example, a presentation during the Annual General Meeting of the Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana resulted in over 400 downloads of the app.

As of 31 December 2019, six months after the launch, there have been more than 1,500 downloads and 67 ADR reports received through the app – 57 (85%) submitted by healthcare professionals and the remaining 10 (15%) from patients.

Continuous engagement and awareness raising about the benefits of the app are seen as key success factors and currently the FDA is developing strategies, including short videos, to educate patients and healthcare professionals to download and use the app.

Ghana Launch 2
<div class='columns imageGallary'>
Ghana Launch 3
Ghana Launch 4
Ghana Launch 1
</div>
Tags: MedSafetyApp, Africa, Ghana, mobile, e-reporting

George Sabblah
Head of Safety and Monitoring Department, Ghana FDA

You may also like


New podcast episode – Into the infodemic

Tune in to the latest in our Drug Safety Matters Long Reads series, exploring how pharmacovigilance experts can help win the war on viral misinformation – by not fighting it.

Communications / 29 March 2021

Into the infodemic: Countering COVID's medicine myths

As the COVID-19 pandemic spread around the world, so did wave of viral misinformation. For pharmacovigilance, fighting the “infodemic” is a massive, but necessary, battle.

Communications / 18 December 2020

Good news – The newsletter is back

Email newsletter are back in style. And for health communicators in a time of pandemic, one could argue that they have have never been more useful.

Communications / 29 March 2021

Our website uses cookies

Cookies are small text files held on your computer. They allow us to give you the best browsing experience possible and mean that we can understand how you use our site. Some cookies have already been set. You can delete and block cookies but parts of our site won't work without them. By using our website you accept our use of cookies.

Find out more